Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Psychology of WoW

The longer I play this game, the more I realize that the biggest part of it is in the mind. I don't just mean the parts of the brain that control reaction time and coordination, but there is a psychological component.

I know that my chances of hitting the Thaddius jump the first time are nil if what is going through my brain as Feugen goes down is "I'm not gonna make it." However, if I think, "you can make this, push your camera angle up, run, and jump," I land more often than not.

The safety dance is another one where I have to psych myself up, and one negative comment can throw me off. Before the Heigan fight starts, I say to myself, "this could be the night." I then make sure I am in the middle of the group when it's time to run. I'm really getting close to having that one down.

In the world of abilitycraft, these is an area where your guildies can make or break you. I can't tell you how many times I've been frustrated and ready to quit on myself when I've had a guild member either say outright or imply that I can do it. These are also the people to whom I can say, "this is a challenge for me, any suggestions?" or "are you having this issue?"

If there is any advice I would give to overcome the negative, it would be this: think positively, present yourself positively, and don't rule out the possiblity that your challenge may be something that nondisabled gamers struggle with as well.
Happy raiding!

No comments:

Post a Comment