Monday, April 20, 2009

Changing Roles (Maybe)

10-Man Ulduar went pretty well Saturday night. I got a sweet new sword, and actually was able to do 2.5k or greater dps on most of the fights. After the run was over, I was still on vent and I logged on to AbleGamers to see if there was anything new. What I saw was my article featured at the top! In a very excited voice, I told Orbitz about it on vent, and piqued the curiosity of the four other guildies still in the channel with us. I gave them the address and pointed out the article. Seeing the reactions of the AbleGamers community, my husband, and my guildies has been the best part of writing this article. Of course, getting it picked up by three other websites was pretty cool too.
Yesterday afternoon, I was logged into the game, but took a few minutes to talk to my mom on the phone. When I walked back, I scrolled up and saw that Dev had announced that we are recruiting for a resto druid. In the past, I would have seen this as an opportunity to keep my raid spot, and tried to switch to not be replaced as much. I've had a very significant paradigm shift this past week. The realization that I am wanted for so much more than my damage or healing output is both powerful and humbling.
About 40 minutes before raid start, Dev logs on and invites me to the raid. I send him a tell that I don't want to bother him while he's getting ready for raid, but there is something I would like to talk to him about . He asks me what's up, and I explain that I'm wondering if it would benefit the guild for me to play my healer. After a short consultation with Bast and the other officers, he said, "Switch over, let's try it out."
It went okay. We got Deconstructor down, which I'm not sure we could have done with my lock, considering either Squigs or Younger would have had to heal, and they do huge amounts of dps. Looking at the healing meter and WoW Meter Online, I have a lot of work to do. Then again, I haven't done much on the druid since the patch, and druid healing has changed. Off to ElitistJerks.com to see what they have to say about it.
What the future holds for me, I do not know. The effects of the cerebral palsy will be a liability no matter which class I play, the only question to answer is which role is going to best benefit the guild.

No comments:

Post a Comment